Re: Recommended pci-e 1x SATA cards.

On Sun, 17 Apr 2011, Stan Hoeppner wrote:

The fact that the Russian with 5 cards purchased in Dubai could routinely demonstrate this problem with 2 of 5 identical cards, and never on the other 3, points directly to a board QC isue. Again, if the problem were a design flaw in the IC itself, all 5 cards would have exhibited the problem.

I think you're missing the point.

A proper hardware design should detect errors in the chip, and should offline itself (or at least complain loudly). This is robustness in design, that if something goes wrong in the production process that QC doesn't find, card notices this and goes offline.

I personally have two of these controllers and they're working well, but I have to agree that it's very likely that these low-cost products are not as resilient to problems as the more expensive devices out there.

--
Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike@xxxxxxxxx