RE: Software/ Hardware RAID info

The simple answer is that nobody can give you anything but a generic
answer unless you supply much more data.

Basically, you want to consider the RAID controller, logical disk(s),
HBA, file system, kernel settings, cache settings on O/S, disk drivers,
RAID controller, and queue depths, buffer memory, and such ... to
minimize the number of times it has to go to disk.  Are you cpu bound,
or I/O bound, what controllers do you have,

Do you have 15K.5 SAS disks or are you using SATA drives?  Are you
interested I IOPS or throughput?  Large or small-block, or mixed? Video
streaming ???  Random or sequential?  Where are the hotspots and how big
are they?  Write intensive or read intensive.  What kernel? Using PCI-e,
PCI slots?  Running a mailserver, database, general accounting, video
streaming?  Ifyou have a primary application the system is running, then
first consult the software vendor. They know how their software
interacts with a file system and can generally make decent suggestions.

Effectively, you said you just bought a transportation device to take
things places.  At least by giving me the Dell model I can at least
recommend a train, hovercraft, car, or F16 .. but you certainly didn't
give me anything about destination, how much cargo you have, how quickly
it needs to get there, frequency of trips, or the insurance deductable
(analogy RAID1, RAID5, or RAID6).

I'm a little sarcastic now, sorry, don't really mean it.  You did the
write thing to ask before you set it up.  For what it is worth, if you
got a contract from Dell, then they will typically spend time on the
phone at least helping you figure out the basics. Drop me a private
message and if you want to call me for a few mins, I'll help you out.

David @ santools ^com