RE: RAID1 == two different ARRAY in scan, and Q on read error corrected

You can't assume a disk is losing sectors and failing without running
some diagnostics. If you had an improper shutdown (i.e, power loss, not
a crash), and disks were writing, then you can get ECC errors.  That
does not indicate the disk is bad.

Of course, you must always have a backup, even if both drives are
perfectly fine, RAID1 doesn't protect you from entering rm -rf * tmp
instead of rm -rf *.tmp

I strongly advise against using Richard's dd if=/dev/zero suggestion.
It puts you at risk as you only have one online copy of the data ..
unless you have current backup and it can easily do a cold-metal
restore.  Not worth the risk if you ask me.

Enter dd if=/dev/md0 of=/dev/null instead, and it will force parity
rebuild. You do this with both disks online in RAID1.   Furthermore, you
can get report of what blocks were bad.   There is likely also a mdadm
rescan or mdadm rebuild, but you'd have to look up syntax. They are
preferable to using the dd command.

Either technique won't technically check all physical blocks on both
disks, but they will take you considerably less clock time, and will
protect your data.

Warning .. A block-level dd read on every block in md0 will not
necessarily rebuild parity for all kernels.  You probably have to do
something to temporarily disable cache, I don't know.

Good luck -

David @ santools ^com
http://www.santools.com/smart/unix/manual

(Use a smaller blocksize to dd if you