Re: More tales of horror from the linux (HW) raid crypt

On Wed, 22 Jun 2005, Harry Mangalam wrote:

> I personally buy IBM (now Hitachi I think) and Seagate and have always avoided
> WD as being cheap and cheesy.  5 years ago when I was a sysadmin, I was
> replacing WD at probably 5 times the rate of anything else.  It was probably

Everyone has their own personal HD brand horror stories.  I've seen
multiple IBM DeathStar drives suddenly self destruct.  I've had multiple
defective brand new Maxtor SATA drives and Maxtor send an RMA replacement
(for a PATA) drive that after being stored for a few months turned out to
be dead when I tried to put it in service.

I try to base my drive purchases on warranty length now, on the assumption
that if they don't want to stand behind their product (<3 year warranty),
I don't want to rely on it either.