Re: More tales of horror from the linux (HW) raid crypt

Thanks for the note - I'd also be interested in what drives people people use
that seem to be robust and which are having problems.  The 3ware tech that I
spoke to recommended the WD-SD series, but a local senior sysadmin has warned
his entire dept off WD drives for the reasons I've mentioned.  He rec'ed
Seagate (5 year warr) and Hitachi.  So far the only good thing that I can say
about WD is that their return policy has been relatively smooth (tho they
smoothly keep returning bad drives :( )

I personally buy IBM (now Hitachi I think) and Seagate and have always avoided
WD as being cheap and cheesy.  5 years ago when I was a sysadmin, I was
replacing WD at probably 5 times the rate of anything else.  It was probably
strongly influenced by the fact that more people were using them than the
others but I don't think I've ever had an IBM or seagate 3.5" die (have a
teetering stack of working ones that just got too small to bother with).  I
figured that since WD was still in business (tho seeming always on the verge
of going bust) their quality must have improved, but maybe not.

Happy to be contradicted.  If there's a 'Consumer's Reports' for HD
reliability on the web, I couldn't find it.  Maybe it's time to set one up -
with SMART disk records, it's possible to get more reliable runtime records
and data than just the usual single point or small data set that individuals
can provide (and you can bet that most vendors aren't going to make their
failures public..).

Perhaps something like the CDDB, where a you can run an applet on a cronjob
that will upload your disk's SMART data cache to a remote DB on a regular
basis, so the millions of disks out there can be profiled.  Hmmm - sounds
like a good undergrad project. Did someone say Summer of Code?
(http://code.google.com/summerofcode.html)

hjm

--
Cheers, Harry