Re: More tales of horror from the linux (HW) raid crypt

On Wed, 2005-06-22 at 12:33 -0700, Mike Hardy wrote:

> I'm very interested in the relative SW raid / HW raid performance. I
> have both in service (two raid 5 sets are actually the same size with
> the same number of components) and see roughly the same as you mention.
> One difference that I see is that HW raid should generate fewer
> interrupts and lower bus traffic.

In the early days of RAID, people always used to say that for speed, you
had to get a hardware RAID controller instead of doing software RAID.

However, I saw an interesting comment on a local linux user group
mailing list recently.  That comment was to the effect that hardware
RAID controllers tend to have no where near the horsepower of a modern
desktop CPU - so the claim was (I've not verified this!) that using
software RAID would be much faster.

I'm thinking that if you can do software RAID with a dedicated box
that's doing nothing but RAID and a little network, then yes, that
likely would be faster than some scaled-down hardware RAID controller -
but it would also likely cost more, be less likely to have good hot
swap, and so on.