Re: SMART, was Re: More tales of horror from the linux (HW) raid crypt

On Wednesday 22 June 2005 4:15 pm, Konstantin Olchanski wrote:

> But does anybody know what all these SMART parameters *mean* ?!?

Yes, apparently, it's all written down:
http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net/#references

> AFAIK, only a handful of parameters ("temperature", "reallocated sectors",
> and "start stop count") seem to measure something. All the other
> stuff appears to be complete gibberish.

Yup, I agree.  But the information that isn't useful doesn't negate that which
is.  And the gibberish may indeed be useful once it is interpreted.

> Then for the SMART "status", it is completely useless- I had SMART
> complain about perfectly good disks ("this disk will fail soon!!!"- a few
> 120GB WDs that sometimes stop seeking, probably through overheating)
> and I had completely unusable disks (i.e. develops about 10 unreadable
> sectors per day) that SMART was perfectly happy with.

This I can't address - I've not had this experience - others can speak up
about this.

> K.O.

(and thanks again for your help on my original problem!)
--
Cheers, Harry
Harry J Mangalam - 949 856 2847 (vox; email for fax) - hjm@xxxxxxxxx