Re: md Grow for Raid 5

Neil Brown wrote:

Growing a raid5 or raid6 by adding another drive is conceptually
possible to do while the array is online, but I have not definite
plans to do this (I would like to). Growing a raid5 into a raid6
would also be useful.
These require moving lots of data around, and need to be able to cope
with drive failure and system crash.... a fun project..

EVMS has this already.

It works and is supported (whereas I didn't think raidreconf was).
It would be nice to move the EVMS raid5 extension code into the core md.

FYI, I used EVMS briefly and found it to be an excellent toolset. It's a teeny bit rough and a bit OTT for a personal server though so I'm sticking with md/lvm2 for now :)

David
-