Re: md Grow for Raid 5

It actually is available.
I've tested it and it worked fine for me. But taking a backup is highly recommended.
The trick is not to use mdadm, since growing with mdadm is not possible at the moment. Use raid-tools instead.
The program raidreconf comes along with raidtools. This prog takes two raid-tab files as input which describe the array configuration before and after reconfiguration. (See man raidreconf for further details)
I've testet growing an array of 3 disks to 4 disks. Having LVM2 grow its volume group along with the raid was another (very tricky) thing...

Greetings,
Frank

John Poirier wrote:

Greets,
A lot of RAID 5 hardware controllers can grow a RAID 5 array (online capacity expansion). Will this be available in software RAID?