Re: md Grow for Raid 5

Have you guys seen/tried mdadm 1.90? I am delightfully experiencing the neat issues [read problems] with MY system [sys1], and am too into myself to be able to take on serious other-probs. The doc [which is still a tad lite, NB] has a grow command. Understand that your files exist on/in a filesystem, which has a _size_. Growing RAID and growing fs are two, nonrelated things. But if you want #2, then you have to do both 1 & 2. There is definately more than one way to "skin a cat", so pgms of which you are familiar might be queried first.

Price - 2cents
b-
caveat:
You may not get what you paid for -
   but, you always pay for what you get.    <-Practise .sig

Mike Hardy wrote:

Frank Wittig wrote:

It actually is available.
I've tested it and it worked fine for me. But taking a backup is highly recommended.
The trick is not to use mdadm, since growing with mdadm is not possible at the moment. Use raid-tools instead.
The program raidreconf comes along with raidtools. This prog takes two raid-tab files as input which describe the array configuration before and after reconfiguration. (See man raidreconf for further details)

I'll second both major points here:

raidreconf does work, but it can fail and leave things completely destroyed (imagine one bad block somewhere after parity was partially migrated), so take a backup.

Given that you're taking a backup already then, creating a new array (with its optimized resync) might be faster if its an online backup.

I'm 2 for 4 now on raidreconf working, with the two failures (sadly) being of the "operator error" variety - raidreconf is picky and fails slow if your disk sizes aren't what it expects, I found. It got to the end and ran out of space on me due to a slightly different "250GB" disk size once. The other was a bad block along the way - I should have done smartctl -t long on all drives prior to resize. Both lessons learned...

-Mike
-

.