About speex bitrate

On 3/18/08, Markus Vechiorno <finalpfc at hotmail.com> wrote:
>  Well, I have done some experiments as you said. I have found the bitrates I
> was searching with the following settings: (8KHz)
>   - quality 2 => bitrate 5.9 Kbps
>   - quality 3 and 4 => bitrate 8 Kbps
>   - quality 5 and 6 => bitrate 11 Kbps
>   - quality 7 and 8 => bitrate 15 Kbps
>   - quality 9 => bitrate 18.2 Kbps
>
>  I have found this values looking the 'd' option in pjsua. Perfect!

Ah yes, I forgot that you can see the bitrate into with the "d" command. :)

>  Now, I want the client to be able to select from these codecs (speex
> 5.9Kbps, speex 8Kbps, speex 11Kbps , etc).
>  Is there any way to initiate 5 codecs (all of them speex) with different
> settings?
>  This is one of the requisites I have to fulfill.

We can't, I'm afraid. Speex quality is initialized once during
startup, and it applies for the whole library rather than on per call
basis. You can, however, call pjmedia_codec_speex_init() and
pjmedia_codec_speex_init_default() between calls to modify the quality
settings. Yes it's not pretty, but it's all the we've got now.

Cheers,
 -benny