Re: Pay Slips

Matt,

Yes, I agree PDF's can be easily broken but what cannot? if you have an
individual (hacker) devoting his time to do it sooner or later he will
achieve if you haven't taken all the security measures into consideration.
You might want to just allow access to the specif PDF file lists per
users/employee based on your system login schema, SSL, etc.  Your goal is to
give each user the ability get the pay vouchers to employees electronically,
I would say that sending it by email is very unsecure, specially if its not
encrypted and based on the fact that email sits on your ISPs server if not
hosted by yourself, consider mail server crashes (backups/restores,
etc...sometimes the Employees will or will not get their check/voucher
file).  Another idea is to encrypt the PDF and have users uncrypt it at
their end using what ever you tell them but that is going into to much
hastle for employees and they will probably prefer the old paper/envelope
method (which in itself is totally unsecure because carriers do not
guarantee 100% privacy).

Serving the check/voucher on the browser is not such a good idea cause the
user might leave and the page will be left unattended for everyone to see,
same goes for any file that you serve them once they open it with the
password, and the same goes for paper mail.  Good luck on this, I think your
main concern lies on the fact of trying to make something bullet proof when
its nature will always reveal some kind of vulnerability.

Let me know if you find "the perfect solution!"

Christian.

===================

"Chris Berlioz" <cberlioz@paycomonline.com> wrote in message
20030425151400.90086.qmail@pb1.pair.com">news:20030425151400.90086.qmail@pb1.pair.com...
> You may want to try PDF files and password protect them per user/employee
> distribute their electronic copy of their pay checks/vouchers.  User could
> select to browse or print thier stubs by selecting from a table who's rows
> contain the link to the PDF protected file of the wanted pay period.  You
> may want to still notify employees by email so they may log into your web
> site and retrieve their pay vouchers/checks once they are generated.
>
> Christian.
>
> "Achieve It" <info@achieve-it.com> wrote in message
> 00c201c30b23$4786bfc0$b590869f@mainpc">news:00c201c30b23$4786bfc0$b590869f@mainpc...
> > Hello,
> > This is a general type of query which I think could fall into this
> category.
> >
> > I have a client who at the moment when payroll or travel is calculated
> > within the organisation, all of the staff must receive a payslip or
> > travel-slip. This is done on a fortnightly basis and involves the
packing
> of
> > hundreds of slips into envelopes and then distributing them to all the
> > staff. On an annual basis this amounts to the packing and distributing
of
> > tens of thousands of envelopes.
> >
> > I am wondering if there was a more efficient way of doing this and have
> come
> > up with two possible solutions.
> > 1) Get an e-mail address from all the staff (who have one)  and send
> > them a .txt file (or similar) of their payslip.
> > 2)  Create a .txt file (or similar) of the payslip individually password
> > protected for each staff member and named using the pay-period. and
Staff