Pay Slips

Hello,
This is a general type of query which I think could fall into this category.

I have a client who at the moment when payroll or travel is calculated
within the organisation, all of the staff must receive a payslip or
travel-slip. This is done on a fortnightly basis and involves the packing of
hundreds of slips into envelopes and then distributing them to all the
staff. On an annual basis this amounts to the packing and distributing of
tens of thousands of envelopes.

I am wondering if there was a more efficient way of doing this and have come
up with two possible solutions.
1) Get an e-mail address from all the staff (who have one)  and send
them a .txt file (or similar) of their payslip.
2)  Create a .txt file (or similar) of the payslip individually password
protected for each staff member and named using the pay-period. and Staff
Id. These could then be uploaded  to a web location. Any staff wishing to
check a payslip for a pay-period would go to this site, chosse the .txt file
to download  to their own pcs.

I would be grateful for any comments, on how/if one could implement such a
solution.
Many thanks,
Declan.