Re: Hoping for a working example of SFTP in PHP

Sam, I assume you mean error reporting from the remote server, not the local server. I agree. PHP does not, in general, report errors and verbose output that is generated by the remote server directly.

However, in the case under discussion, there would exist no such error message, since the connection commands were all successful and the 'copy' command never referenced the remote server at all. This is an example of a bug that will probably never be easy to find.

By the way, I like the idea behind your 'samples' website. We seriously need a standard place to find and contribute programming examples of all kinds, languages, and, where relevant, OSs.

GitHub 'gists' might have filled this role if they had been designed to be more flexible, searchable, and only had programming examples. Similarly for PasteBin, CodePen, and other programming sandboxes.

If you made your website look "modern", organized it a bit deeper, supported versions, and had forms for submitting contributions, your site could be the nucleus of such an online utility. Are you ready to create and maintain a heavily-used public site? A free site that has all the attractive appearance and facilities that people want in a 'programming examples' website would certainly have a good chance of being successful.

David