Re: PHP vs JAVA

On Tue, 2013-08-20 at 21:44 +0100, Stuart Dallas wrote:

> On 20 Aug 2013, at 21:30, Dan Munro <dan@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> >> in my opinion, that would be like asking "how big is the internet?".
> >
> > http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-switch/wp/2013/08/18/heres-what-you-find-when-you-scan-the-entire-internet-in-an-hour/
>
> That's scanning IP addresses and doesn't come close to answering "how big is the internet," assuming that means how many sites are there rather than how many publicly responsive edge servers exist.
>
> -Stuart
>
> --
> Stuart Dallas
> 3ft9 Ltd
> http://3ft9.com/

I'd argue that a large proportion of really secure servers out there
won't respond to a lot of what Zmap pings out. Nmap works by throwing
out requests on a bunch of different ports, not just ping, which is
slow, so I'd be surprised if Zmap could really rival that while giving
the same results. Bearing in mind there are over 4,000 million (I won't
say billion, because that's a million million, despite what the
Americans say!) IPv4 address out there, 40 minutes is a ridiculous
amount of time to even scan half of that, especially given the fact that
IPv6 is being majorly pushed because IPv4 is apparently running out of
free address space! Then not forgetting that lots of websites exist on
the same IP address/range, I would say the article is lacking on so many
details as to be untrue.

Thanks,
Ash
http://www.ashleysheridan.co.uk