RE: PHP vs JAVA

> My recent question was simply an attempt to get documentation to support
> which server-side Web Language is the most popular. Both PHP and Java can
> be used server-side.
>
> I also realize that Java is used for native Android because I also teach
> Mobile Application Development (MAD -- I even coined the name). So, I am
up
> to my butt in languages (and people who think different than me) -- I'm
> just trying to get documentation to back up my what I think I know.

Well, technically any language can be used server side, it is all on how you
set up your server, no?

I would tend to think that the biggest out there, is html/php/javascript...
and next to that, would be asp, and then java.   Do I have proof of this?
No, can I get proof, I doubt it, and are there stats on this? To be honest,
in my opinion, that would be like asking "how big is the internet?".  It is
virtually an immeasurable object.  There are so many websites out there,
that you can't search them all...

PHP is simple, and yet powerful to use, and is pretty much the standard for
all hosting companies.

Now, there is this link...
http://www.tiobe.com/index.php/content/paperinfo/tpci/index.html

It shows Java as #1, and php as #5, but this is also for PROGRAMMING, does
not specify web based programming vs desktop vs MAD (thanks tedd ;) ) so the
numbers do not really speak out in this application.

Does it really matter?   PHP is very huge, widely used, and I would even go
so far as to say the 'norm' for website developers, and hosting providers.

But that is my $0.02, and for me, I have been with PHP for 7 years
professionally, and in college I took VB.net, ASP.net, C++, JAVA and PHP.
Only recently have I gotten into C# for desktop applications.