Re: Doctrine madness!

On Jun 17, 2011, at 3:05 AM, <admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> <admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> While I do agree with your discloser of the bloat for all off the shelf
> frameworks.
>
> I created my own framework and my development time drop drastically and not
> by a few hours, in some cases days.
>
> The complaint of time is always an issue, if you do not scope out a project
> properly.
> Timelines and IPR's (In Process Reviews) will keep the developers sane, and
> the customer happy.
>
> It tells the customer: I have given you expectation timelines on how long it
> will take me to get to each point in development.
> It also gives you an opportunity to find obstacles in development that can
> be discussed or redirected with another option before the project begins.
> Any added edge on the timelines, allows for extra creativity and pit falls.
>
> The worst thing you can do?  Not take time to understand your development
> process and coding practices.
>
> To use someone else's framework is asking for trouble.
> Like most who download a framework, install it. They just setup the config
> and start programming.
>
> Bad, Bad, BAD!!!!
> If you took the time to flow through the framework, you might understand all
> the things you never want to happen that can cause serious latency issues.
> Then soon learn, you are better off just writing your own or developing a
> coding practice that keeps your timelines consistent.
>
> If you are using a database, PLEASE learn what is called Relational
> modeling.
> The fastest server in the world will not help a poorly designed database,
> causing 78% of all latency in projects that are DB driven.
>

> I never claimed to be the expert here, I just know what has made me very
> successful.
>
> Richard L. Buskirk

I've taken pretty much the same approach.  After trying several different frameworks, I found it frustrating that, other than the blog tutorial that each one has, I couldn't get any of them to work the way I wanted to.  Granted, this was probably due to me wanting to dive right in and start developing larger sites as opposed to starting simple to learn the frameworks.  The most frustrating thing for me was when something went wrong and trying to figure out what caused the problem.  So, understanding MVC, I built my own framework and, just like you, have cut my development time down considerably!  With a simple script, I can generate the files I need and I have a nice looking page in seconds.  Of course, it doesn't do anything at that point but it has all my JavaScript and CSS files loaded, any page headers (such as images) displayed, and a menu bar (if the site requires it).

I have really enjoyed writing my own framework and making it better throughout the years.  It has saved me considerable time!

Take care,
Floyd