Re: Doctrine madness!

On Thu, Jun 16, 2011 at 08:53:18PM -0400, Eric Butera wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 16, 2011 at 7:32 PM, Daevid Vincent <daevid@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

[snip]

> I'm sorry but this is absolute rubbish.  I used to write my queries by
> hand, but over time you start to realize that perhaps, maybe writing
> out thousands of identical lines of code over hundreds of projects
> might not be an efficient usage of time.  If you have performant
> requirements, that is one thing and can easily be overcome with slight
> deviations on a case by case basis.  Most of the time, contrary to
> your position, things just need to work and be completed quickly.
> What is the more common question from clients: why is this so slow,
> or, client asks why is this not finished yet?

I generally side with Daevid on this, though my position isn't as
extreme. However, I have to take exception to the "either/or" question
from clients. As far as I'm concerned, clients need to learn that coding
takes as long as it takes. I'd much rather spend the extra time and
never have the customer ask why the code is so slow. The theoretical
alternative, having the customer satisfied with the delivery time, but
complain about latency, isn't what I'd consider acceptable.

Looking at some of the code that comprises most ORM and other frameworks
(but particularly ORM frameworks) the bloat is amazing.

Paul

--
Paul M. Foster
http://noferblatz.com