Re: Howdy (new in here)

On Tue, 2011-02-15 at 15:54 -0500, tedd wrote:
> At 2:20 PM -0500 2/15/11, Mujtaba Arshad wrote:
> >I would say all languages have their 'lousy developers', however, since very
> >few schools focus on teaching the 'proper coding style' for PHP it leads to
> >people learning from a variety of resources available online, and this leads
> >to them receiving mixed messages from the tutorials and allowing people the
> >ability to choose the method they prefer. Since there is very little
> >syntactic consistency among the code produced by developers, it leads to the
> >perception that the developers are 'lousy'.
>
> I don't know if I buy that or not -- I didn't learn programming in school.
>
> I learned by using rocks instead of ones. It was a few years later
> that we created the concept of using the absence of rocks as zeros
> and were finally able to build things other than pyramids.
>
> Style became a matter of choice -- it's what makes sense to you and
> that usually works.
>
> For example, while it's true that Rob and I disagree on brace style,
> there are many different types to choose from.
>
> This is what I show my students:
>
> http://rebel.lcc.edu/sperlt/citw229/brace-styles.php
>
> Cheers,
>
> tedd
>
> --
> -------
> http://sperling.com/

Tedd:

Your bracing style is WRONG.  Whitesmiths Style sucks... and Allman
Style is the best way to do it.

:)

My personal bracing style is the Allman Style... I've been doing it that
way forever, it just made sense to me (even before I knew there was that
style name... which was about 3 minutes ago).   everything lined up nice
and neat.

Steve