Re: Will PHP ever "grow up" and have threading?

On Wed, Mar 24, 2010 at 9:45 PM, Robert Cummings <robert@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Rene Veerman wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, Mar 24, 2010 at 9:31 PM, Robert Cummings <robert@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>> wrote:

>>> Actually, you are th eone suggesting dumping your code since you said you
>>> were jumping ship. Many of us suggested that your problems can almost
>>> certainly be mitigated without threading.
>>>

>> "almost certainly". at least you're acknowledging that you might be wrong.
>
> I'm certianly not right all the time. once I thought I was but I was wrong.
>
>> take this example, sorry for the crosspost;
>>
>> my main concern atm is my own cms (50-100k lines of my own); it's
>> graphics-heavy, does fairly complicated db based logic, and if it ever
>> is to be used for a site like facebook, it'll get large dataflows that
>> have to be distributed over the servers used to generate html and
>> accessoiries for end-users.
>> i've built a layer into it that caches the output of oft-used pages
>> (like articles and their comments).
>> but adding many comments / minute to an article would result in quite
>> a bit of overhead, to update the html for that page and distribute it
>> (fast enough) to the relevant servers.
>>
>> i'm worried about php's single-threaded nature; each request has to
>> fetch html updated in the last few seconds, or generate it from a list
>> of comments. that's also a big query from a big table for every
>> end-user.. :(
>> i'd rather keep them comments for an article in shared memory.....
>
> I think you'll find when you get even close to the size of facebook,
> everything you think you know now about how it all stays running will be
> thrown out the window. But then, I'm not a fan of early optimization of this
> magnitude. A good design is usually flexible enough to allow redesign
> without recoding everything. Baby steps to the moon IMHO.

yea, well, if i'm going to keep using php i need a path towards
scalability, for this particular problem.

i'd like to code the kinds of applications with big dataflows.
call me a golddigger all you want, it's what i am ;)
just not in the sexual sense hehe..

>Your tools are up to date. Threading is in the future if at all... it's certainly not in the present.

True, lets _keep_ 'm up-to-date, please.

And you'd enable other uses of PHP besides helping this
real-time-web-scalability problem.