Re: Will PHP ever "grow up" and have threading?

On Wed, Mar 24, 2010 at 4:28 AM, Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Tommy Pham wrote:

>>> Who was the idi... who hired someone who wasn't suited for the job?
>>> Tommy, that's a moot argument.  You can't fit a square peg in a round
>>> hole.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Per Jessen, Zürich (12.5°C)
>>>

>> Suited for the job?  You mean introduce more complexity to a problem
>> that what could be avoided to begin with if PHP has thread support?
>> hmmm....
>
> Tommy, it's perfectly simple:  in my company we hire people with C
> skills for C programming jobs. We hire people with database skills to
> be database administrators.  We hire people with Linux skills to work
> on Linux systems.  We explicitly do _not_ hire PHP web-programmers to
> maintain our C code.  And vice versa for that matter.  No problem, no
> complexity.
>

> --
> Per Jessen, Zürich (13.4°C)

That may just work out fine if you work directly for the company with
all the proper staffing.  But some of us work as consultants or for
companies without the proper staffing.  As such, let's dissect what
you mentioned:

1) PHP with internal thread support
2) PHP with external C/C++ thread support

* Performance - having external thread support, now you have to call
an extension (more memory usage and CPU cycles).  If you happen to
have a C/C++ guru who can then code that thread support into PHP
extension, wouldn't it still perform better at the core vs as an
extension because it's not talking to a 'middle man'?  Having said
that, not everyone has access to a C/C++ guru.  Thus not mass
availability.
* Portability - if you're currently running PHP on Windows, but manage
to convince management to switch to *BSD/Linux, then you'd have to
rewrite that external thread support.  But for us consultants, we may
have 1 project the runs on Windows, the next may be *BSD/Linux.  PHP
code snippets goes a lot further versus your custom work around.
* Managability - should your need to upgrade PHP for either bug fix,
new features you'd want to implement to add more functionality to your
site, will that then break your custom external solution?  How much
more manageable is it if it's done under 1 language versus 2+?

Regards,
Tommy