Re: Will PHP ever "grow up" and have threading?

On Wed, 2010-03-24 at 21:50 +0200, Rene Veerman wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 24, 2010 at 9:45 PM, Robert Cummings <robert@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Rene Veerman wrote:

> >> "almost certainly". at least you're acknowledging that you might be wrong.
> >
> > I'm certianly not right all the time. once I thought I was but I was wrong.
> >
> >> take this example, sorry for the crosspost;
> >>
> >> my main concern atm is my own cms (50-100k lines of my own); it's
> >> graphics-heavy, does fairly complicated db based logic, and if it ever
> >> is to be used for a site like facebook, it'll get large dataflows that
> >> have to be distributed over the servers used to generate html and
> >> accessoiries for end-users.
> >> i've built a layer into it that caches the output of oft-used pages
> >> (like articles and their comments).
> >> but adding many comments / minute to an article would result in quite
> >> a bit of overhead, to update the html for that page and distribute it
> >> (fast enough) to the relevant servers.
> >>
> >> i'm worried about php's single-threaded nature; each request has to
> >> fetch html updated in the last few seconds, or generate it from a list
> >> of comments. that's also a big query from a big table for every
> >> end-user.. :(
> >> i'd rather keep them comments for an article in shared memory.....
> >
> > I think you'll find when you get even close to the size of facebook,
> > everything you think you know now about how it all stays running will be
> > thrown out the window. But then, I'm not a fan of early optimization of this
> > magnitude. A good design is usually flexible enough to allow redesign
> > without recoding everything. Baby steps to the moon IMHO.
> >
> yea, well, if i'm going to keep using php i need a path towards
> scalability, for this particular problem.
>
> i'd like to code the kinds of applications with big dataflows.
> call me a golddigger all you want, it's what i am ;)
> just not in the sexual sense hehe..
>
> >Your tools are up to date. Threading is in the future if at all... it's certainly not in the present.
>
> True, lets _keep_ 'm up-to-date, please.
>
> And you'd enable other uses of PHP besides helping this
> real-time-web-scalability problem.

Why don't you set up a vote to see how many developers actually *want*
threading. That would be a good indication of whether or not it is
actually worth the PHP development team spending a lot of time on it at
the loss of other features which people want more.

Thanks,
Ash
http://www.ashleysheridan.co.uk