Re: Will PHP ever "grow up" and have threading?

On Wed, Mar 24, 2010 at 3:25 PM, Robert Cummings <robert@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Rene Veerman wrote:
>>
>> php is not a hammer, its a programming language.
>
> It's hard to discuss anything with someone who doesn't comprehend a
> metaphor.

haha. "comprehend". you mean "accept".
that metaphor is stretched to breaking point as far as i'm concerned.

>> one that i feel needs to stay ahead of the computing trend if it is to
>> be considered a language for large scale applications.
>
> Personification of PHP doesn't make your argument any more salient. PHP
> isn't trying to stay ahead of anything. People are using it to solve
> problems, not to meet some phantom ideal of a "computing trend" threshold.
>
>> but you nay-sayers here have convinced me; i'll be shopping for
>> another language with which to serve my applications and the weboutput
>> they produce..
>>
>> thanks for opening my eyes and telling to abandon ship in time.
>
> Obviously we didn't open your eyes.

Well excuse me for not dumping 50-100k lines of my own cms code
instantly now that i realize that in order to scale it, i could really
use features like threading and shared memory.