Re: Will PHP ever "grow up" and have threading?

On Tue, Mar 23, 2010 at 9:06 PM, Teus Benschop <teusjannette@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> When looking at PHP as used in enterprise class applications, we can see
> the following happening. Let imagine that we have a site that gets a
> 1000 requests per second. That seems to be a good candidate for
> threading so as to be able to handle the 1000 requests per second. The
> site runs PHP and Apache. Well, what happens? Each request coming in is
> handed of to a separate instance of Apache. Thus the site would be able
> to process many requests simultaneously. It looks as if parallel
> computing is taking place here, which looks much like threading. Even
> though PHP itself does not know about threads, and does not need to, I
> think, the whole process of handling the 1000 requests per second uses
> parallel computing. There are no performance bottle-necks here. Teus.

# of requests / second can be solved by load balancers/clusters.  What
about the multiple answers for a simple request per user as in my
example?  How you would solve that if not by threading?  Amazon has
about 30 million products and they have filters similar to what I
mentioned.  But when clicking on one of the I18n site at the bottom,
you're taken to another server, which looks like it uses a different
DB back end (I could be wrong) and you don't get instant translation
of the category you're looking at.  Their response time is about 3
seconds on my 10mbs (not cable) download.  As for what programming
language they use...