Will PHP ever "grow up" and have threading?

I've been using PHP for a decade or so (since PHP/FI) and love it. The one
problem that seems to always keep coming back on enterprise level projects
is the lack of threading. This always means we have to write some back-end
code in Ruby or Java or C/C++ and some hacky database layer or DBUS or
something to communicate with PHP.

Will PHP ever have proper threading? It would sure let the language take
the next logical leap to writing applications and daemons. I love the idea
that Rails/Ruby have where you can just load objects in memory once and
keep using them from page to page (this is NOT the same as a $_SESSION,
it's way more flexible and powerful).

But more importantly, in one application I'm working on, we need to connect
to an Asterisk system for the IVR abilities. This means we have Ruby doing
all that fun stuff and PHP doing the web stuff, but we're also duplicating
a LOT of work. Both Ruby AND PHP now have to have ORMs for the user who's
calling in, advertisements served, products shown, etc. We could have used
Rails for the web portion, but I want to stay with PHP and I'm sure I don't
have to explain to you PHPers why that is. Without threads, PHP just isn't
even an option or only one user would be able to call in at a time.

The pcntl stuff is not feasible. It's a hack at best. Spawning multiple
scripts is also a recipie for disaster.

When will the PHP core-devs (Zend?) realize that PHP is much more than a
hook to a database. It's much more than web pages.

Is this a case of "it's too hard"? Or is it a case of PHP core developers
just being douche-bags like they are about the whole
"foo($set_this_parameter=$bar);" bull$hit??! (there is NO reason NOT to let
the developer choose WHICH of the list of parameters they want to set in a
function/method call aside from being stubborn! Especially when there are
many parameters and you can't overload functions like you can in Java or
other typed languages)

As usual, I created a poll here too:
http://www.rapidpoll.net/awp1ocy

Past polls are below:
http://www.rapidpoll.net/8opnt1e
http://www.rapidpoll.net/arc1opy (although someone hacked this poll and
loaded up the 76 votes like a little cheater)