Re: Will PHP ever "grow up" and have threading?

It's code design problem you face, there is loots of solutions to "use
treading" in php. (analyse the way ms C# and VB creates and handles
threads, and when you have done that you can create a couple of php
scripts to acquire the same result).

Read GOF (gang of fore) Design Patterns: Elements of Reusable
Object-Oriented Software (ISBN 0-201-63361-2) and PHP 5 Power
Programming (ISBN 0-131-47149-X)

Start reading and stop being an AHole.

2010/3/23 Daevid Vincent <daevid@xxxxxxxxxx>:
> I've been using PHP for a decade or so (since PHP/FI) and love it. The one
> problem that seems to always keep coming back on enterprise level projects
> is the lack of threading. This always means we have to write some back-end
> code in Ruby or Java or C/C++ and some hacky database layer or DBUS or
> something to communicate with PHP.
>
> Will PHP ever have proper threading? It would sure let the language take
> the next logical leap to writing applications and daemons. I love the idea
> that Rails/Ruby have where you can just load objects in memory once and
> keep using them from page to page (this is NOT the same as a $_SESSION,
> it's way more flexible and powerful).
>
> But more importantly, in one application I'm working on, we need to connect
> to an Asterisk system for the IVR abilities. This means we have Ruby doing
> all that fun stuff and PHP doing the web stuff, but we're also duplicating
> a LOT of work. Both Ruby AND PHP now have to have ORMs for the user who's
> calling in, advertisements served, products shown, etc. We could have used
> Rails for the web portion, but I want to stay with PHP and I'm sure I don't
> have to explain to you PHPers why that is. Without threads, PHP just isn't
> even an option or only one user would be able to call in at a time.
>
> The pcntl stuff is not feasible. It's a hack at best. Spawning multiple
> scripts is also a recipie for disaster.
>
> When will the PHP core-devs (Zend?) realize that PHP is much more than a
> hook to a database. It's much more than web pages.
>
> Is this a case of "it's too hard"? Or is it a case of PHP core developers
> just being douche-bags like they are about the whole
> "foo($set_this_parameter=$bar);" bull$hit??! (there is NO reason NOT to let
> the developer choose WHICH of the list of parameters they want to set in a
> function/method call aside from being stubborn! Especially when there are
> many parameters and you can't overload functions like you can in Java or
> other typed languages)
>
> As usual, I created a poll here too:
> http://www.rapidpoll.net/awp1ocy
>
> Past polls are below:
> http://www.rapidpoll.net/8opnt1e
> http://www.rapidpoll.net/arc1opy (although someone hacked this poll and
> loaded up the 76 votes like a little cheater)
>

> --

MvH / Hans Åhlin
Tel: +46761488019
http//www.kronan-net.com/