Re: Will PHP ever "grow up" and have threading?

On Tue, 2010-03-23 at 21:32 -0700, Tommy Pham wrote:
> # of requests / second can be solved by load balancers/clusters.  What
> about the multiple answers for a simple request per user as in my
> example?  How you would solve that if not by threading?  Amazon has
> about 30 million products and they have filters similar to what I
> mentioned.  But when clicking on one of the I18n site at the bottom,
> you're taken to another server, which looks like it uses a different
> DB back end (I could be wrong) and you don't get instant translation
> of the category you're looking at.  Their response time is about 3
> seconds on my 10mbs (not cable) download.  As for what programming
> language they use...

Well, the multiple answers for a simple request per user as in your
example, seem to be a lot of information to display all on one page, and
present all that information to the user in one request. I would
probably resolve it, IMHO, by using pagers. That is, only part of the
information is shown to the user at one time, and the user can page
through that information so as to get to other bits of information. If
only part is shown, then the database query becomes so much faster
(hopefully), and PHP still can do all of it in one thread.

A PHP application, by the nature of PHP, consists of small page requests
to be done at one time, rather than move a lot of information around per
request. Thinking the PHP-way requires some study because, as said, the
information is presented or moved about in small chunks. Desktop
applications, and probably Java web applications (I have no experience
with Java but have read up on it a little) work differently. A
successful PHP application is redesigned from the ground up, rather than
remorphing a Java or other desktop application in PHP without changing
the design principles.

The key to makign your eCommerce application snappy, is, I think, not
threading, but optimization of database queries. And another key is that
less information presented to the user is usually clearer to the user,
and thus they feel better at the site, and would return sooner to buy
something. The real head-ache here and the difficult part is: How to
design a clear and clean interface for the user. It's not threading.

Teus.