Re: Obeying the rules (was Simple login form with cookies)

"Eddie Drapkin" <oorza2k5@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>> I called him "intolerant" because he jumps on issues which other people
>> just
>> don't care about.
>>
>> I called him "small minded" because he concentrates on small issues which
>> simply don't matter in the great scheme of things. That sounds like fair
>> comment to me It's just like those people who have endless arguments
>> about
>> when to use uppercase and when to use lower case. It simply doesn't
>> matter,
>> so stop wasting your time in arguing about it.
>
> And it's not just as small minded (I'm not agreeing with you, by the
> way) to assume that your point is the only valid point in the
> discussion?

I never said that my point is the *only* valid point, just that it is a
valid point. I don't complain about other people and their bottom posting
(which I consider to be a bit anal, if you get the pun!) so stop trying to
force me to conform to your petty rules.

>  Nor is it just as small minded to systematically attack
> someone, and the community they take part in, because they have the
> audacity to disagree with you?

I am not attacking, I am defending. There is a slight difference.

>> Irrelevant. It does not matter how much good work anybody does if they go
>> and ruin it by trying to enforce some inconsequential petty rule.
>
> It's obviously not inconsequential, as you're making such a fuss about
> it.  If it's so inconsequential, why not bottom post and be done with
> it?

If it's so inconsequential then stop complaining about it.

>> The conventions in other newsgroups are different, and I can't be
>> bothered
>> to change my habits for different newsgroups just becase some internet
>> Nazi
>> says so.
>>

> Congratulations, rule-abiding denizens of php-general, we're now all
> Nazis!

I'm not saying that every person who reads this newsgroup is a Nazi, only
those who take great delight in dictating how people should use *their*
newsgroup.

> Way to invoke Godwin, by the way, it clearly always wins these
> internet argu-debates and doesn't make you look like a loon at all.
> I'm going to take this opportunity to jump on the "no more respect"
> bandwagon.
>
>> So not only are you dictating how I post, you are also dictating which
>> newsreader I should use? How arrogant!
>
> "I don't like your rules, rules that existed before I got here and
> will exist after I leave and are agreed on by the community, so I'll
> not follow them!" is one of the most arrogant things I've ever seen on
> this list.  He was making a suggestion, ffs, and you just want to be
> an ass and take everything personally.  You're making an entire
> mountain range out of the proverbial molehill.

It is *you* who are making a mountain out of the no-top-posting molehill.

--
Tony Marston
http://www.tonymarston.net