RE: Obeying the rules (was Simple login form with cookies)

A quick search on Google indicates this argument has been active in
various forums for over ten years, so I don't expect it to be resolved
here.

While ego is the most apparent motivator in these discussions I suspect,
but have no way to confirm, that the two camps are divided by how their
[email|news] client posts by default. GroupWise was the first
significant email client I am aware of that top posted replies. Since
that was the competitive target Outlook was created to eliminate,
Outlook also top posted by default. But prior to the Office 2003 release
it could still be configured to both bottom post and automatically
insert the line prefixes for attribution.

At the office I have to use Outlook. I hate it. Not only do I have to
hand edit every message to construct the replay, there are many other
problems that make it totally unsuitable for intelligent users.
Unfortunately, that description fits far too few of the actual users.

Bob McConnell