Re: Obeying the rules (was Simple login form with cookies)

On Thursday 09 July 2009 09:39:11 Tony Marston wrote:
> There are too many people in this newsgroup with the idea that you  MUST
> obey the rules, whatever they are, WITHOUT QUESTION. I do not subscribe to
> this notion. I have been working in IT (or DP as it was originally called)
> for over 30 years, and in that time I have worked with many groups, and
> each group has had its own version "the rules" (aka "guidelines" or
> "standards"). When moving to a new group the new rules will always be
> different, and will sometimes contradict what you had before. Why is this?
> Why do some groups say "do A instead of B" while others say "do B instead
> of A"? Does it make a difference?
>
> The problem partially lies in the way in which the rules are created. It
> starts with some wise ass saying
> (1) Without rules there will be anarchy, so we must have rules.
> (2) There are no such things as bad rules.
> (3) Do not allow any choices. If there is a choice between A and B then
> choose one as the standard. It doesn't matter which one.
> (4) Everybody must be the same, nobody is allowed to be different.
> (5) The rules must be obeyed without question.
> (6) If a rule causes a problem then you must work around it, you cannot
> change the rule.
>
> Item (5) usually exists because the author of the rule cannot justify its
> existence. He just flipped a coin and it came down tails instead of heads,
> so that's it. Any moron can make rules like this.
>
> Some people just cannot understand that sometimes a rule was created for a
> certain set of circumstances, but if the circumstances change then the rule
> needs changing in order to keep up with the times. Because they do not
> understand why the rule was created in the first place, they do not see
> that it needs changing. They also do not have the intelligence to see how
> the rule might be changed to suit the new circumstances.
>
> I have fought against arbitrary and stupid rules for decades, and I will
> keep fighting till the day I die. If you have a problem with that, then so
> be it.
>
> --
> Tony Marston
> http://www.tonymarston.net
> http://www.radicore.org
>
> "Andrew Ballard" <aballard@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>
> > On Wed, Jul 8, 2009 at 3:06 PM, Tony
> > Marston<tony@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > [snip]
> >
> >> I don't like this rule, so I choose to disobey it.
> >
> > Now that's some scary ideology.
> >
> > Andrew

Tony,

No offense, but Daniel gave the reason why this rule existed, and it does seem
like a fairly good reason to be fair. The emails are archived on several
web-based lists. If a thread is made up of a mixture of top and bottom
posting, then it won't be easy to read a all online. It might be fine for
reading in a message-by-message basis in an email client if you've been
following the thread since its inception, but a lot of people will come into
a thread part way, or choose the digest method for email delivery rather than
one email per message.

Thanks,
Ash
http://www.ashleysheridan.co.uk