Re: Obeying the rules (was Simple login form with cookies)

2009/7/9 Tony Marston <tony@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> There are too many people in this newsgroup with the idea that you  MUST
> obey the rules, whatever they are, WITHOUT QUESTION. I do not subscribe to
> this notion. I have been working in IT (or DP as it was originally called)
> for over 30 years, and in that time I have worked with many groups, and each
> group has had its own version "the rules" (aka "guidelines" or "standards").
> When moving to a new group the new rules will always be different, and will
> sometimes contradict what you had before. Why is this? Why do some groups
> say "do A instead of B" while others say "do B instead of A"? Does it make a
> difference?

1) This is somebody elses property that you're walking all over and
they've asked you to remove your shoes. Yes it's arbitrary, no it
doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things but it's polite to
do what they've asked.

2) Correct summary and ordering of the key points in a discussion is
not arbitrary, it helps to create messages that you can dip in and out
of which needing to read an entire thread (backwards if it's all been
left after someone's contribution) to get the context. Plus it creates
an archive that has the same benefit.

3) Feel free to do your own thing because it's a free world, but the
minimal respect I had for you after our previous discussions on this
list has just been destroyed (and no I don't care that you don't
care).

-Stuart

--
http://stut.net/