Re: Re: How important is your Express or Web Edition database? Please weigh in--

On Mon, Mar 2, 2009 at 6:36 PM, Ashley Sheridan
<ash@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Mon, 2009-03-02 at 09:30 -0600, Boyd, Todd M. wrote:

Yep. That's one of the hacks I've seen that *almost* works. The flaw
I've found is that if the complete result set is not evenly divisible
by the page size, the last page repeats enough records from the
that "work" with SQL 2000 and higher.

1) Load the entire matching result set into a temporary table or table
variable that includes its own identity (auto-increment) column and
then SELECT * FROM @temp WHERE id BETWEEN @rowfirst AND @rowlast.
This works, but it is not at all efficient if the overall result set
is very large since the server has to copy the entire set into
temporary storage.

2) Something very close to what you posted, except that rather than
simply selecting the TOP 10 from the BOTTOM 20, it adds a filter to
find the TOP 10 of the BOTTOM 20 that are not also in the BOTTOM 20.
If you're writing a single query against a single table with a known
primary key, this is not too much more difficult. I had a much more
difficult time revising it to work inside a
Zend_Db_Adapter/Zend_Db_Statement since it has to work regardless of
the primary key, even on joined recordsets.

The rest I've seen involve the ROWNUMBER() with or without CTEs, so
they are limited to 2005 and above. The variations are designed to
limit the size of the rowset inside the CTE and/or to leverage indexes
to increase the efficiency of the execution plan used by the database.

Andrew