Re: Re: How important is your Express or Web Edition database? Please weigh in--

On Fri, Feb 27, 2009 at 4:21 PM, Bastien Koert <phpster@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 27, 2009 at 4:01 PM, Shawn McKenzie <nospam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>wrote:
>
>> Stan Stadelman wrote:
>> > Hello All:
>> >
>> > I'm trying to see how Web Edition databases are being used in your
>> company
>> > for PHP-driven web-apps.  Our strategy team thought that free and
>> community
>> > editions would be dominant, but we interviewed Zend Framework developers
>> > using Oracle, IBM, Microsoft, MySQL, PostgreSQL, and it looks
>> > like--surprise--that each vendors' market share is about the same as in
>> the
>> > broad commercial market.
>> >
>> > We think this means that you--the PHP developer community--aren't
>> actually
>> > using the lightweight Web/Express Edition for your corporate web-app
>> > deployment, and instead are building out on the licenses for databases
>> your
>> > company is already running.
>> >
>> > Is the Express/Community/Web Edition important for you at work? Is it a
>> > critical sandboxing step for you? Do you run it live for internal
>> > applications?
>> >
>> > Answering these 10 multiple choice questions--should take about 90
>> > seconds--will help us understand what databases you need in your
>> > professional life, and how to deliver them to you.
>> >
>> > Happy cooking, and thanks!
>> >
>> > http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?sm=Jro0rkoIGJKuQNpfWZV_2bBQ_3d_3d
>> >

>> What exactly are, Express or Web Edition databases?
>>
>> --
>> Thanks!
>> -Shawn
>> http://www.spidean.com
>>

> Just another marketing tool to sell a limited toolset db to punters who like
> marketing hype
>

> --
>
> Bastien

I thought they were free. Limited, but free. (reduced functionality or
limited number of connections compared to the commercial versions of
the products) I've not heard of "Web Edition", but I have heard of
both SQL Server and Oracle Express. I haven't used them, but I guess
the idea I have in mind is of products that are supposed to be just
good enough to use in either embedded apps or else to entice
developers into wanting the full version for server apps.

Andrew