Re: Passing variables between pages

Robert Cummings wrote:
On Sun, 2008-09-21 at 20:39 +0100, Stut wrote:
On 21 Sep 2008, at 18:13, Nathan Rixham wrote:
tedd wrote:
At 8:31 PM +0100 9/20/08, Nathan Rixham wrote:
Am I missing something here..?
Yes. You are missing the point.
This is exactly the same; you don't need $_SESSION's in this case because all you're doing is POST'ing the data every time..
And that's what you are missing -- it's not continued POSTing!
Follow closely,
http://www.webbytedd.com/bb/php-run-php/
While I'm using a Submit Post button to go from this script to the next script I am NOT sending any data via the POST. To prove it, use FF and see what's passed. All data is passed/available to the next script because the next script is an include.
For example, this parent script has the variable:
$test = "This is a test";
And the next script (either a.php, or b.php, or c.php -- your choice) simply echo's $test. Please note, the contents of the variable $test was NOT passed via a POST, but rather retained because the parent script included the next script.
Do you see the difference?
Here's another example presenting the same technique in a different way:
http://www.webbytedd.com/bb/tedd/index.php
All the variables remain intact AND there is nothing in the REQUEST, SESSION nor COOKIE arrays. I have a hard time trying to get people to understand this simple concept. It's so simple that people often overlook how powerful it is. For example, with a little forethought, I think there isn't a script I've written that I could not have used this technique and dispensed with SESSION's all together. That's pretty powerful, don't you think?
Do you understand what I'm doing now?
no ill-intention meant.
That's Okay -- I realize you meant no ill-intent.
Neither do I -- I realize that occasionally simple concepts are hard for you smarter guys to get because you have to dumb down a lot to consider what we're talking about. But I think it's an interesting concept to consider.
Cheers,
tedd

at it's simplest is this correct..?

index.php
<?php
$variables = $_POST;
include 'anotherscript.php';
?>

anotherscript.php
<?php
print_r( $variables ); //include has access to $variables from parent
print_r( $_POST ); //include has access to post data as well
?>

I'm struggling to follow here I thinks! lol
I don't think you're missing the point Nathan, I think you've hit it on the head. This technique does not solve the problem of passing variables between requests. I think the only benefit here is to avoid having to repost data by including the next script rather than bouncing off the browser.

Or maybe I'm missing the point.

Looks like a basic front-end loader pattern. Data isn't passed, it's
available by virtue of being in the current request's context.

Cheers,
Rob.

so may as well just have everything in one script then..