Re: Passing variables between pages

tedd wrote:
At 12:42 PM -0400 9/19/08, Dan Joseph wrote:
On Fri, Sep 19, 2008 at 12:35 PM, tedd <tedd.sperling@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

 At 12:22 PM -0400 9/19/08, Jason Pruim wrote:

 It's interesting that another topic (i.e.  SESSIONS vs. MySQL) is
discussing the differences in storing variables in SESSIONS as compared to
> storing them in MySQL when using this technique would not require either.

You've definitely raised an interesting topic.

Question though...  a system requires different levels of access to see
various parts of the system.  How does your method of doing things w/o
sessions accomidate that?  Does it use that information from the origin
POST?  Also, is this secure?  Any loop holes?

I don't see any loop holes and it's secure as any other php script.

The technique holds all variables intact, including POST, GET, SESSION, et all arrays.

This does work -- as shown by this:

http://www.webbytedd.com/bb/tedd/index.php

Here's another example:

http://www.webbytedd.com/bb/php-run-php/

Note that $test is defined and populated with "This is a test" at the start of the parent script -- however, the contents of the variable remain regardless of which script you choose.

Cheers,

tedd

sorry to wade in on this one but it seem's like a bit of false logic to me; and isn't actually doing anything different than standard php functionality. (includes always have access to get/post/session/server and variables defined before the script was included)

For years people have simply ran a whole website through a single index.php and called the modules via include (the whole ?mod=contact era)

This is exactly the same; you don't need $_SESSION's in this case because all you're doing is POST'ing the data every time..

from the source of you're demo:
"<input type='hidden' name='var2' value='This is another string here'>
<input type=submit value='Click to Continue"'>
"

Thus all we are talking about is replacing session with multiple posts to carry the data; which is a nightmare; shows up awful messages if a user clicks back in IE and asks the user to resend data in firefox where obviously they'll be like er what data did I send :o

Am I missing something here..?

Regards and no ill-intention meant.

Nathan