Re: ASCII Captcha

At 5:37 PM +1000 9/14/08, Kevin Waterson wrote:
This one time, at band camp, tedd <tedd.sperling@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
 > Also, you're supposed to click the "accessibility icon" to get the
 page to speak the number.

What if the user is deaf and blind? they are denied access?

Kevin

Kevin:

For deaf-blind users there are refresh-able braille displays to read the computer screen. These braille displays are driven by JAWS and other screen readers (each requiring braille displays drivers).

The braille displaying devices do text-to-braille translations; the speech synthesizers do text-to-speech translations; while the screen readers' job is to convert what they 'see' or read on the screen into text or meaningful output to the HID for the human user.

While this may sound simple, there are other problems, namely refresh-able braille displays cost a minimum of $1500 US and, unfortunately, braille is not universal among all of the adult blind population (which would also include deaf-blind users and adult onset deaf-blind users).

As for my example (as shown below), the "Speak Key" submit button works for the blind testers who have tested this for me. While they have no problem with the way I've done it, none are deaf.

http://www.sperling.com/examples/captcha

It would be nice if I could get a good female voice, preferably Asian, who would submit her speech for free distribution. All she need do is to speak the numbers "one" though "ten" and "repeat" with pauses between words.

Why Asian? As it turns out a female Asian voice works extremely well for English speech recognition. I am sure that other languages have their preferences.

Cheers,

tedd

--
-------