Re: ASCII Captcha

At 9:07 AM +0100 8/29/08, Stut wrote:
On 29 Aug 2008, at 03:45, tedd wrote:
These are what I've come up with:

http://webbytedd.com/aa/assorted-captcha/

Just curious tedd, but what do you mean by "CAPTCHA's show the world that you really haven't thought this out". If you have a better alternative I'd love to hear about it.

-Stut

-Stut :

I claim that for most web sites, they don't need a CAPTCHA -- so why use one? CAPTCHA's carry a lot of accessibility baggage.

There are many of high profile sites that don't use CAPTCHA (i.e., Eric Meyers, Chris Shiflett). Instead they have developed other methods, such as attending to their sites and monitoring post.

I concede that if an evil-doer wants to make things hard on you by automated posting, then it's an uphill battle that can be effectively fought by using a CAPTCHA. But I claim there has to be a better way.

While I've been working on the problem (on/off) for several years, I haven't found an acceptable solution. Of course, better minds than mine have tried and failed, but I always think that I might do better -- a flaw in my personality, I just don't know any better.

In any event, I've approached on the problem from two sides:

1. To create a CAPTCHA that would be difficult for automated systems to break but easy for the user to navigate -- my Arrow CAPTCHA is the best I could create. However, I'm sure with a little effort from someone like you or Rob, it can be broken.

In addition, my arrow CAPTCHA is for the sighted and that leaves out a lot of people. My Audio CAPTCHA works well for the blind, but that too can be broken.

2. To create a server-side method that monitors who's making the post, frequency of the posts, and content of the post before allowing the post. While I'm not finished, this is something that I continue to work on. I think that direction shows the most opportunity for success.

So, when I say "CAPTCHA's show the world that you really haven't thought this out", that's what I mean. I still haven't thought this out either. But I think there'a better solution and I'll keep working trying to find one.

Cheers,

tedd

--
-------