Re: ASCII Captcha

At 10:00 AM +0100 8/29/08, Richard Heyes wrote:
 > CAPTCHA's don't work. Don't depend upon them for any of your projects.

Sure they do. My blog comments were getting spammed to death. Now I've
put a captcha on I rarely have to deal with spam. I'd say that's
working.

Yes, it's working for you -- but what about the people who can't navigate your CAPTCHA? They can't even tell you they are having problems.

In addition, all CAPTCHA's can be broken. If someone really wants to spam your site, they will. You're not flying below the radar, you're just not a big enough target to waste a missile on.

 > CAPTCHA's present accessibility problems for people with disabilities.

These can be alleviated by, for example, adding a sound option like
Recapture has. Not perhaps a 100% solution, but it does help
tremendously.

If you will notice, I do include an audio CAPTCHA in my assorted CAPTCHA's:

http://webbytedd.com/aa/assorted-captcha/

But, that doesn't solve the problem of accessibility, it just reduces the problem, and actually increases the possibility of your site getting spammed by providing two doors for entry.

 > CAPTCHA's show the world that you really haven't thought this out.

Actually my captchas show the world some funky coloured text... :-)

Now you throw possible contrast problems into the mix. Will your colors pass this test:

http://webbytedd.com/c/access-color/

No matter how many times you cut this rope, it's still too short.

Cheers,

tedd

--
-------