Re: ASCII Captcha

On 29 Aug 2008, at 15:15, tedd wrote:
At 9:07 AM +0100 8/29/08, Stut wrote:
On 29 Aug 2008, at 03:45, tedd wrote:
These are what I've come up with:

http://webbytedd.com/aa/assorted-captcha/

Just curious tedd, but what do you mean by "CAPTCHA's show the world that you really haven't thought this out". If you have a better alternative I'd love to hear about it.

-Stut

-Stut :

I claim that for most web sites, they don't need a CAPTCHA -- so why use one? CAPTCHA's carry a lot of accessibility baggage.

There are many of high profile sites that don't use CAPTCHA (i.e., Eric Meyers, Chris Shiflett). Instead they have developed other methods, such as attending to their sites and monitoring post.

I concede that if an evil-doer wants to make things hard on you by automated posting, then it's an uphill battle that can be effectively fought by using a CAPTCHA. But I claim there has to be a better way.

While I've been working on the problem (on/off) for several years, I haven't found an acceptable solution. Of course, better minds than mine have tried and failed, but I always think that I might do better -- a flaw in my personality, I just don't know any better.

In any event, I've approached on the problem from two sides:

1. To create a CAPTCHA that would be difficult for automated systems to break but easy for the user to navigate -- my Arrow CAPTCHA is the best I could create. However, I'm sure with a little effort from someone like you or Rob, it can be broken.

In addition, my arrow CAPTCHA is for the sighted and that leaves out a lot of people. My Audio CAPTCHA works well for the blind, but that too can be broken.

2. To create a server-side method that monitors who's making the post, frequency of the posts, and content of the post before allowing the post. While I'm not finished, this is something that I continue to work on. I think that direction shows the most opportunity for success.

So, when I say "CAPTCHA's show the world that you really haven't thought this out", that's what I mean. I still haven't thought this out either. But I think there'a better solution and I'll keep working trying to find one.

I agree with some of what you're saying here, but only to a certain extent. CAPTCHA's are a tool that can be applied to any number of different situations, so a blanket statement like that cannot possibly apply. For some situations they are absolutely required (example coming up), for others they're certainly not the best answer.

The main project I work on at the moment is a classified ad site and it has CAPTCHA's in three places. The first is when you place an ad. If this wasn't there we'd have a much more difficult job dealing with scam and spam ads, something we can't currently afford to throw more effort at. This is an example of making it a little bit harder for automated posting to happen, but we know it's not 100% effective and we have other mechanisms in place to catch stuff that gets past it, but it's a good first step and knocks out the really stupid attempts.

The other two places are when a user contacts us for support, and when someone sends a message to another user about one of their ads. Without the CAPTCHA both of these suffer from a huge amount of aimless automated postings. This is the main thing a CAPTCHA does for any site.

Out there in the wide wide world there are numerous scripts that simply crawl the web looking for forms to post to on the off-chance it's going to turn out to be unprotected. Depending on the form handler this can result in anything from them posting content on a website with a view to getting SEO juice to being able to use the form as a mail proxy. These scripts don't care if each post works, they just try because it's nearly free to do so. In the above scenarios not having the CAPTCHA there to stop them would result in spam in our support system and even worse than that, spam in users mailboxes.

So I agree that CAPTCHA's do not and cannot solve the problem of unwanted form submissions, but they're a damn good start. Whatever we do, the simple fact that we want users to be able to do something means that anyone can do it whether they have good intentions or bad, but we can put up as many obstacles to automation as normal users can live with. CAPTCHA's are only a defence against automation, not bad people and that's a very important thing to understand.

As for attending to sites and monitoring posts, that's all very well until you end up dealing with >10k posts a day. Our CAPTCHA's stop over 70% of form submissions on my site and I thank $DEITY they're there because otherwise I'd never sleep (not that I do that much anyway).

The reason I asked the question is that your comments on that page imply that only lazy developers use them when this is far from the truth. They are a valuable tool and until something better comes along I'm gonna use them as part of my sites defences, unless you're volunteering to moderate >7k messages for me for free? Didn't think so ;)

-Stut

--
http://stut.net/