Re: ASCII Captcha

At 8:41 PM +0100 8/29/08, Stut wrote:
So, in essence your statement is assumptive, judgemental and sweeping.

I certainly did not mean it to be taken assumptive or judgmental.

---
Holding my hand up now as a lazy developer, the CAPTCHA I have on my sites is not accessible what with it being simply an image with no audio alternative. We have plans to switch it to using recaptcha or implement our own but in terms of priorities it's pretty low for my 2-man team (myself included).

If you ever want to add an audio CAPTCHA, I will provide mine. I have done significant blind testing to get it approved by blind testers.

But, I say this from one developer to another and not to the general public. When dealing with another developer, it's much less problematic to share code because we speak a common language.

You see, I provide free things on my site, such as my drop-down menu, and I have people daily failing to implement those correctly because they cannot follow simple directions. I don't want to complicate my life further without good reason.

---
As I see it, I could be wrong, but that's just an example of "developers" who are not taking the easy way out, but rather trying to solve the problem by using something other than CAPTCHA, like the ones I posted earlier.

Yes and no. Wikipedia has its share of problems with spammers, but they have such a large community of users who are willing and able to put time into keeping the site clean it works. The same site with a different type of user profile may not be able to work this way.

As far as it being down to the developer I think you're giving credit where little is due.

That's the reason why I quoted "developer" -- the developer in this case IS the user.

---

I think we do disagree on a fundamental level. You think we've all given up because we haveCAPTCHA's, I believe in the innovative potential of most developers. We're using CAPTCHA's a lot, and we're doing it because none of us have come up with anything better yet, but that certainly doesn't mean we've given up trying.

If your site is free to use I would modify your statement to say...

"CAPTCHA's show the world that you care about the quality of the content on your site without needing to charge for its use, but remember that we haven't given up trying to find a better way"

Not quite as catchy as yours, but more accurate. If people need to pay to use your site then the need for CAPTCHA's is reduced but I'd argue that in some cases they're still needed.

You bring up good points and I'm not so head-strong that I can't listen and learn.

Is this better?

http://webbytedd.com/aa/assorted-captcha/

Cheers,

tedd