Re: ASCII Captcha

Oh look, you forgot to include the list again.

On 30 Aug 2008, at 13:54, Eric Gorr wrote:
On Aug 30, 2008, at 8:26 AM, Stut wrote:

Eric...

1) Quoting an NYT blog as an authority on technical matters is both naive and asking for it. The mainstream press have never used industry-specific terminology correctly, and they probably never will. Hacker vs. cracker is the best example of this.

It is entirely legitimate to use words like crack or cracked in either a narrow or broad sense. That you would assert they can or should only be used in their narrowest sense is, well, ignorant. I used the article, not as an authority on technical matters, but only to show that there are people out there will to pay others to crack captcha's. That you do not recognize this only demonstrates a severe lack of intelligence on your part.

Wow, straight in there with the personal insults. Please take a moment to consider the possibility that you're wrong. If they're paying others to develop software to get past CAPTCHA's then I'd agree with you. Using humans to get past a CAPTCHA test is not breaking it, it's solving it in the way it was meant to be solved. The fact that it's being done for evil purposes doesn't enter into it.

2) CAPTCHA's have one single purpose... to prevent automated form posting. Any system that uses humans to get past them is not "breaking the CAPTCHA", or cracking it or any other terminology you decide to use.

Captcha's have one single purpose... to make it that much more difficult for an evil doer to spam a site or use it to spam. Any system that uses humans to get past them is "breaking the Captcha" despite your need to limit the use of english words and phrases to only their narrowest sense.

You see what you did there? You completely ignored my definition of what a CAPTCHA is and went back to your definition. Where's the wiggle room? I'll say it one more time... when a human gets past a CAPTCHA test they have "solved" it. When a machine does it they've "broken" it. One word, big difference.

3) This list is self-moderating so your pleas to the PHP webmaster, list moderator and $DEITY (you'd have gotten to her in the end) are pointless beyond their comedic value.

Then, hopefully the other list members will take it upon themselves to request these pointless public posts come to an end. I doubt he would listen, but there is always hope.

Hold on to the hope Eric, and don't forget your daily prayer to the fairies at the bottom of your garden.

4) Rob is one of the most valuable members of this mailing list ... don't take him on, you'll lose!!

That only makes it even more interesting to watch him spam a mailing list and attempt to provoke a public flame war on a mailing list that he would now falsely claim to care about.

Rob is the last person I would expect to intentionally provoke a flame war, in public or in private. If someone disagrees with you it's not necessarily because they're trying to pick a fight, it's almost certainly because they think differently. Nothing more, nothing less.

This discussion is no longer adding value publicly or privately so don't expect another response from me. If you feel you need to use this opportunity to have the last word feel free.

-Stut

--
http://stut.net/