Re: Re: php framework vs just php?

On 4/22/08, Jay Blanchard <jblanchard@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> [snip]
> > If you don't use a framework then obviously you are writing nothing
> but
> > mickey mouse programs, and wouldn't stand a chance when it comes to
> > writing a proper application.
> >......If you think you can achieve the same
> > level of productivity WITHOUT a framework then you are living in cloud
> >\cuckoo land.
> >\[/snip]
> >
> > Tony is obviously joking here folks.
>
> No I'm not.
> [/snip]
>
> My mistake, you must be trolling. I forgot that you were better than all
> of the other PHP developers combined +1 says the President of Cuckoo
> Land. (I attempted to defend you so that your tone would not be
> offensive to others...oh well)
>
> You're right to a point, developers of large scale applications in PHP
> will likely re-use code and thereby develop even a small framework but a
> framework is not required to create robust, scalable, large scale
> applications in PHP. Certainly there will be a much higher
> time/management factor involved but there are several non-mickey mouse
> proper programs written in PHP that used no framework what-so-ever.
>
> Different strokes for different folks.
>
> Is there a value to a framework? Of course there is. Are there cons?
> Every framework comes with its own set of gotcha's too. What framework
> should you use? There are so many that it would be hard to know...it
> depends on the size and the scope of the work to be done.
>
> --

Gonna throw my two cents in here. I think eventually we all end up using
frameworks. We just roll our own. I have been using the same framwork that I
wrote for a while now and its holding up nicely. But it also leaves a lot to
be desired in terms of a pure OO approach. So I am working on projects using
Zend and symfony and learning what their limitations are. My concern
now-a-days is more about scalibility. The company I work for uses ASP and
we've built a framework that doesn't scale well at all. But then OO in ASP
is no go.

To me, as to many of you, its about getting the correct tool for the job.
This is where the component nature of the Zend framework is more appealing.
I can pick and choose what I need without having the whole kit and kaboodle
draining resources.

Personally, I think the OO approach has relevance, but its not a panacea to
cure all ills. And under the covers its procedural any ways. (Oh, that
should raise some blood pressure  ;-)  )

Any way, my two cents.

--

Bastien

Cat, the other other white meat