Re: Re: SMTP vs mail()

Hello,

on 01/12/2008 07:28 AM Per Jessen said the following:
>> Still if you want the fastest delivery in the world, you can skip
>> queueing and talk directly to the final SMTP server. That is what the
>> direct_delivery mode of this SMTP class does. I use it for deliverying
>> really urgent messages. It uses PHP only, there is no sendmail or any
>> MTA in the middle. That is why it is the fastest solution.
>
> Unless you're running on the mail-server or being NAT'ed through the
> same, this is not advisable.  You run a significant risk of getting
> your emails caught as spam.

Of course PHP is running on the same machine as the MTA.

>> TCP connections are not a good idea for local connections. That is why
>> under Linux/Unix there are Unix domain sockets which are basically
>> pipes for inter-program communication.
>
> TCP connections are just fine for local connections.  And on some
> platforms/setups they're even faster than Unix domain sockets.

!?!!? That is something odd to say. I would understand if you would say
that UDP sockets could be almost as fast as Unix domain sockets. But I
never heard of TCP sockets being faster than Unix domain sockets.

Every time I install MySQL on the same machine as the Web server, I
disable networking to make it use Unix domain sockets, for either
greater speed and security.

--

Regards,
Manuel Lemos