Re: SMTP vs mail()

Hello,

on 01/11/2008 02:29 PM Richard Heyes said the following:
> Hi,
>
> Bearing in mind I haven't yet done any benchmarks, which do you think is
> faster - SMTP with multiple RCPT commands or the PHP mail() function
> (with it launching a separate sendmail process for each mail() function
> call)?

It depends on the platform you are running PHP.

There is a myth by which people believe that using mail() is slower than
using SMTP connections.

Some of those people using PHP on Windows (especially for development).
On Windows, mail() uses SMTP connections.

On Linux/Unix, mail() uses sendmail or equivalent programs. These
programs use pipes to communicate, which are much faster than using SMTP
TCP sockets.

If you have your sendmail equivalent program properly configured, no
SMTP connection is used when queueing messages using the sendmail program.

--

Regards,
Manuel Lemos

PHP professionals looking for PHP jobs