Re[2]: Re: Pirate PHP books online?

Hi John,

>> Citing a reference in a book to another is not the same as
>> reproducing that ENTIRE book wholesale, page for page, illustration
>> for illustration.

> All right, supposing I do a cut copy paste on a section of a book,
> not the whole thing, and send it out to a friend via e-mail. What if
> it's 25 percent? 15 percent? A single section of a single chapter.
> And what if you put a quote on in. That black and white is blurring
> a lot. Maybe we're not oranges to oranges, but certainly we're
> getting to orange juice:

Technically it has still breached the Copyright, Designs and Patents
Act (1988) - from a UK publication at least. I'm sure there is a US
equivalent. Open up a book on your (non-digital) book shelf, take a
look at that page a couple pages in. Chances are it will tell you all
you need to know. Here's an example from a book on my desk:

"No part of this book may be reproduced or transmitted in any form by
any means, electronic, mechanical, photocopying, recording, or
otherwise, without the prior written permission of the publisher."

So no, technically I shouldn't copy and paste it into an email to you.
I see nothing blurred about this quite frankly.

Cheers,

Rich
--
Zend Certified Engineer
http://www.corephp.co.uk

"Never trust a computer you can't throw out of a window"