Re: Re: Pirate PHP books online?

On Monday 16 July 2007, Richard Davey wrote:

> As a published author I would *rather* people read a PDF of my work,
> than not read it at all because they couldn't afford the printed
> version. But that is my choice to make, not yours.
>
> I would never be so two-faced as to rant about pirates and 'stealing'
> software, but I hate with a vengeance those who claim what they've done
> *isn't* stealing. That's just insanity. When it comes down to it, it
> IS black or white - you either paid for it, or you didn't, and anyone
> who claims there is some "middle ground" based on the digital nature
> of the item is living in a fucking fantasy world. Wake up and smell
> the coffee.

I am not going to defend copyright infringement, but theft is depriving
someone of something they used to have and no longer have.  If someone
pirates a copy of your book that would have purchased it otherwise, then they
have not taken anything away from you that you had.  They have not given you
something that the law says they are supposed to.  "Future profits" is an
asinine concept that exists only in accounting firms and the twisted minds of
stock brokers.

Illegal?  Yes.  Stealing?  No.  Remember, copyright is a government-granted
artificial monopoly intended to "promote the progress of Science and the
Useful Arts".  There's no relation to physical property and theft at all.

--
Larry Garfield			AIM: LOLG42
larry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx		ICQ: 6817012

Jefferson