Re: PHP & Text Messaging

On Fri, April 20, 2007 12:36 pm, Edward Vermillion wrote:
> How does Yahoo do it? You can send text messages through YMessenger
> and all you need is the number. You can probably do that with others
> but that's the only one I've ever used.
>
> I'd be surprised if they are sending out billions of useless emails a
> day just to get it to work.
>
> Are phone numbers assigned like ip addresses? Is there an arin.net
> for phones? I would think there is some way they keep track of all
> that.

They probably pay somebody like mQube (the one SMS provider I happen
to have worked with) to provide them the services of looking up the
provider for any given number, and sending the message out.

Or, even, they just send the phone and text to mQube, and mQube
"knows" which carrier it is, and they send the message for Yahoo!

There are several, possibly dozens, of these kinds of services.

There are also commercial and OSS packages you can install to *be* an
SMS data center, if you so desire...

None of this has anything to do with PHP, really, though.

--
Some people have a "gift" link here.
Know what I want?