Re: WWE in Stamford, CT needs a kick ass PHP Developer!

On Apr 13, 2007, at 8:07 PM, Robert Cummings wrote:
[snip]

I noticed your site isn't a pixel perfect layout. Probably why you
haven't had to tear at your face very hard with CSS :) That whole
box-model issue becomes a great deal more elastic when you have some
fudge room.

[snip]

I use my templating engine, I can wrap as many tags as I please into a
compound custom tag with attributes that expand into the dirty details.
This also provides a great deal of flexibility later when CSS support
improves, to replace the dirty tables ;) I do prefer CSS, but having
done pixel perfect layouts, I know where things break down.

<rant>

And here-in lies the problem with most web designers/coders who think they *have* to have tables...

"Pixel perfect layouts" are *not* what the web is about. A browser window is not a piece of paper and until "web designers" get that through their heads then we will all have trouble making things work. No matter what the browser makers do.

Designers need to start designing for the medium and not for what they want the medium to be, or what medium fits their knowledge base or familiar problem space.

You don't have to have that much control over a web page... loosen up a bit and let things be what they are.

</rant>

Sorry, that just builds up over time and needs to be let out every once in a while....

Ed