Re: WWE in Stamford, CT needs a kick ass PHP Developer!

On Thu, 2007-04-12 at 14:11 -0400, Jarrel Cobb wrote:
> First, CSS layout is relatively new thing.  Its been possible for a while
> but bad browser support for CSS made it difficult.

Microsoft is the bane of any standard. Even with IE7 they still haven't
opened up many of the important CSS features we all crave to get our
sites looking right. For the record, I still use tables for layouts,
only now I generate them via custom tags. It's too bad, I love CSS, it
makes for really clean markup, but using it completely in place of
tables just isn't feasible right now without resorting to CSS "tricks".
And using tricks is just as much against the spirit of CSS as using
tables for layout :) Also, how many monkeys got nailed when IE7 came out
and fixed "some" of their bugs *lol*-- tricks are just another disaster
waiting to happen. There's a point where functionality and purism cross,
I try to hit that mark.

>   I didn't imply that
> people should use a nested table layout and I clearly statement that now a
> days most people go for CSS layouts.

Oh yeah, I use CSS to properly style my table layouts *hah*.

>   I was simply saying that Dreamweaver
> came/comes in handy when you are forced to work with a nested table layout
> either because its 1998 and I.E. 4 has crappy CSS support or because you're
> working with HTML generated by Photoshop.

I have no problem viewing table layouts using the browser. Even XHTML
strict happily supports table layouts and doesn't generate any warnings
or errors from the W3C validator. Someday maybe Microsoft will only have
a tiny market dominance (please God, please) and we can all move along
without clawing at our faces in frustration.

Cheers,
Rob.