Re: WWE in Stamford, CT needs a kick ass PHP Developer!

On Fri, 2007-04-13 at 10:16 -0400, tedd wrote:
> At 3:17 AM -0400 4/13/07, Robert Cummings wrote:
> >Dear Tedd,
> >
> >Please put me down for one pint of asshole, because while you sit on
> >that glass pedestal of CSS superiority I can't help but notice how
> >http://ancientstones.com/ looks completely fucked up in Opera. Opera I
> >might add is ACID2 compliant. Now please go shove your "better than thou
> >CSS up your ass" :) Trust me, I am at least as versed as you in CSS and
> >choose to use tables.
> >
> >Cheers,
> >Rob.
>

> Dear Rob:
>
> It's not a question of "CSS superiority"  -- but rather a matter of
> best practice. You want to use a screw driver to drive a nail, then
> fine -- but some of us do know better.

I noticed your site isn't a pixel perfect layout. Probably why you
haven't had to tear at your face very hard with CSS :) That whole
box-model issue becomes a great deal more elastic when you have some
fudge room.

> You pointed out that my http://ancientstones.com was not appearing as
> it should and you were right. I had made some minor changes and did
> not check Opera. However, the fix was a single line of code and it
> took me less than a minute to find it -- try that with tables.

I use my templating engine, I can wrap as many tags as I please into a
compound custom tag with attributes that expand into the dirty details.
This also provides a great deal of flexibility later when CSS support
improves, to replace the dirty tables ;) I do prefer CSS, but having
done pixel perfect layouts, I know where things break down.

Ewwwwww... NOSE SKIN!!! :)

> But I do know this, I listen to what you have to say about php
> because you know what you're talking about. But in this case, my
> friend, we differ greatly. You want to stick with tables then fine,

You've got me wrong, I don't want to stick with tables, I want to use
the full power of CSS, but unfortunately Microsoft has seen fit to screw
everything up as much as possible.

> but if you are as well versed as I am in CSS, then you know that
> using tables for layout is more costly in overall development,
> maintenance, sales, and accessibility. To me and my clients, those
> things matter.

I agree with accessibility to some degree, but for the rest I think
you're a bit too far out on a limb.

> Concepts like separating content from presentation, graceful
> degradation and progressive enhancement are not just phrases one
> imagined so they could sit on a glass pedestal and look down on
> everyone else. They are practices that work and are far more reaching
> than WYSIWYG table layouts.

Agreed, I practice all of the above, but I feel no guilt in using a
table for a layout when it simplifies the issue. Between box model
issues, float bugs, etc etc, CSS just can't do what needs to be done
yet.

> tedd
>
> PS: Meant, or not, no offense taken -- I do enjoy your colorful manner. :-)

No offense is ever meant, although I'll give you, I was quite drunk last
night (I get 2 outings a year ;) and I used a little more colour than
usual *heheh*.

Cheers,
Rob.